Friday 11 November 2011

Florence + The Machine: Ceremonials.

I'm a massive fan of Florence, I have been ever since I heard her 'dog days are over' on a saturday morning on e4, just before she brought out her first album, Lungs. I think I love her so much because she's successful, she's chart-topping, and yet, she's stayed true to who she really is as an artist. Florence is one of the few successful female artists who hasn't sold out, even though there are more and more artists who are achieving success without selling out. I loved florences first album, especially the tracks 'Rabbit Heart (raist it up), Hurricane Drunk, Howl, and ofcourse her amazing cover of You've Got The love, so I was really excited about her bringing out her second album. I wondered what it could have in store, and it hasn't dissapointed.
Like her first album, there is an air of mystery. Songs like 'Shake it out' remind me of the unknown, of magic, mystery, halloween and paganism, all in a good way ofcourse. FLorence brings something different in her lyrics and vocals to a 'samey' music industry. 'Shake it out' is the first song to be released on the album and is already becoming a major hit, but I also love 'Only If For a Night' which is her opening track. So many artists seem to open their abums with boring mundane tracks or intros, but Florence just jumps right into it. You listen to her first song and already, you're in love with the album. I can't find one song on the album I dislike. Some songs like 'What The Water Gave Me' and 'Seven Devils' are slightly slower paced than other songs. The album seems to mix poignant feelings of love with feelings of freedom, rebellion, and sacrifice. Her album isn't strikingly different from her first, but I see this as a good thing. Florence is still the same, yet stronger.


Top 5 Tracks:
1. Shake it out
2. Only if for a night
3.Breaking down
4. Lover to lover
5.Never let me go



No comments:

Post a Comment