Monday 20 February 2012

NME awards tour, Cardiff 2012.

Last night I went to the NME awards tour at the Cardiff Student Union, with Azealia Banks, Tribes, Metronomy and Two Door Cinema Club as the headliners. It's safe to say it was definitely one of the best gig's i've been to!
Despite being to gig's at the student union in Cardiff before, I hadn't been to see anyone perform in The Great Hall, which was where the NME tour was held, and it was the perfect venue. If anyone is in or around Cardiff I recommend trying to see a band or artist there because there was such a good atmosphere. Of course the acts definitely helped to create that atmosphere.
We went into the venue just after Azealia Banks started playing, which was a little disappointing because I was really excited about seeing her, but we got to see most of her set. Some people in the crowd clearly didn't know of her music, but she still managed to get the crowd going. I don't think I've ever had such admiration for a female rap artist. I've heard people say she disappoints live, but I didn't get that feeling at all. Despite her speedy rapping she still made me dance and err, attempt to rap along! especially when she rapped 'Liquorice'. She finished her set, suitably, with 212, and wow she really did it justice live. Everyone who knew that song was jumping and dancing along. It was an amazing performance and left me feeling high! After seeing her start the gig last night, I'm going to make sure I get tickets for her headlining tour in October.

After Azealia was Tribes, another band I was really excited about seeing. Their indie rock and roll really got the crowd going and was an amazing way to debut their new album, Baby, to Cardiff. Some of my favourite songs they played last night included Whenever, Coming of Age, and Sappho. They played a sadder, more melancholy song, 'Halfway Home', which was quite an emotional song and was beautifully performed. Another amazing song they performed was 'When My Day Comes', which I think is a song which really sums up Tribes' music and what they're all about. A new fave song for me after seeing it live. They finished with 'We Were Children' which was the perfect way to finish the set. By this point the crowd were really lively and raring to go.

Metronomy were a band that I wasn't too fussed about seeing. I initially thought they were a good band with some quite catchy songs, but I wasn't overly fussed about seeing them live. I'm glad I did though. Their performances were very upbeat and they incorporated a dancy, electro feel in to all their songs. The lighting and general atmosphere was really good for metronomy as well. I think they are well worth seeing live and are actually much better live than on their recordings. Shamefully, I felt before I saw them that their music was a little bit, well, boring. Just the kind of music I'd play in the background while painting my nails. But live they are definitely not boring. They make the effort with the crowd and make sure that their songs have that dancy feel which makes the crowd want to move. Which was perfect really, because during Azealia Banks and Tribes, what really got to me was the fact that not many people were moving. I had during Azealia, two couples stood stock still in front of me kissing, then during Tribes, a girl just stood, not moving at all. Even if you don't know the music that well, there is nothing wrong with swaying or dancing or putting your hands up in the air at gigs. I think it's what it's all about. So take note!!

Of course, what everyone was really waiting for was Two Door Cinema Club. I had seen them live once before, at Reading Fest 2011. I already knew they were a great live band, but I wondered if they would be any different indoors as opposed to on a main stage at an outdoor festival. I wasn't disappointed. When Two Door came on the whole crowd got really into it, jumping dancing and singing a long. I remember getting really excited when 'Undercover Martyn' came on, as it's one of my favourite songs by them. They also performed a couple of new songs from their second album which is still in the making, and from the sounds of it it's going to be a  very good record, so thats something exciting to look forward to later in the year. Two Door were definitely a great experience seeing live. I got pushed in to a mosh pit and my shoe fell off, which was all a bit traumatic, especially considering i'm only 5ft and was slightly (very) under the influence, but Two Door are so upbeat I couldn't help but laugh about it!

Overall, none of the acts disappointed. In fact all of them exceeded my expectations of the night. A lot of people go to gigs like that just to see one or two of the bands but I felt that every single act was amazing in their own right. Plus I got an awesome Azealia Top, pictured below, so I can forever remember that amazing night.

My awesome Azealia top... hope no one gets too offended ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment